Sustainable Urban Transport Programme
What the Project is About
The project, in partnership with the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, funded by Global Environment Facility, aims to strengthen capacities of government agencies national/state urban transport departments, municipal corporations and transport experts engaged in urban transport planning and regulations to reduce urban transport emissions causing environmental damage. The project will also demonstrate sustainable urban transport models in 10 cities in the country.
- The project website www.sutpindia.com has been launched.
- Modules on training and skill development (PC2) are being developed. These focus on sensitization, institutional financing and cost benefit analysis, demand assessments, transport planning, integrated planning of infrastructure, public transport, environment and social impact, procurement and contracts, operations, traffic engineering and traffic management. Several models are being reviewed by experts.
- Preparation of manuals and toolkits aimed at achieving the objective of energy efficient modes of transport outlined by the MoUD is underway. These manuals and toolkits target planners and designers engaged in urban transport development at state and municipal levels. These manuals and toolkits on land use transport integration, intelligent transport system for traffic management, access to public transport, urban travel demand modelling, financing and financial analysis, analysis of urban traffic systems, environmental analysis, transport demand management, road safety and safety audits and urban traffic system design and evaluation, are being prepared by urban and transport development institutes and Centres of Excellence of the MoUD.
- Awareness building through newsletters focuses on sustainable transport through energy-efficient transport developments, travel patterns and sharing of innovative initiatives to stakeholders in states and urban centres.
- Greater dissemination has been enabled through a workshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh to share learnings with the city’s mayor, other relevant city officials, media and NGOs.
- The knowledge management centre database developed under the project is serving as a national store house for all urban transport sector related information, policies and data.
Funding Support by
|Donor Name||Amount Contributed|
|Global Environment Facility (GEF)||US$ 4,050,000|
Expenditure in Previous Fiscal Years
In the News
- SUTP Selects Detailed Project Report for Water Transport
[Date: 29 September 2015, Source: The New Indian Express]
- Intelligent Traffic System Mooted
[Date: 27 May 2013, Source: Deccan Chronicle]