Strengthening Capacities of Panchayati Raj Institutions
What is the Project About
The project aims to strengthen the functioning of panchayats through better implementation of the Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan (RGPSA) at national and state levels. RGPSA is a scheme of the Government of India that aims to enhance the capacities of panchayats and gram sabhas; and enable democratic decision making in panchayats.
Development So Far
A consultation on developing human resources for strengthening panchayati raj institutions as part of RGPSA was held on 19 November 2013.
- Strengthening RGPSA division on issues such as finance; gram sabhas’ mobilization; Panchayats (Extension to the Scheduled Areas) Act, 1996 (PESA); natural resource management and livelihoods; institutional development and civic services
- Developing capacities of the faculty of state panchayat resource centres and district resource centres
- Developing information packets on the role of PRIs in social sector programmes
- Engaging grassroots-level organizations and leading resource institutions in activities aimed at strengthening the capacities of panchayati raj institutions
- Building institutional mechanisms for strengthening the capacities of mobilizers who are responsible for effective functioning of the gram sabhas in Schedule V areas of the Constitution of India
Funding Support by
|Donor Name||Amount Contributed|
|United Nations Development Programme||US$ 1,250,000|
Expenditure in Previous Fiscal Year