Capacity Development for Local Governance
What is the Project About
In partnership with the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India, the project aims to strengthen the capacities of elected representatives and officials, institutions and processes at various levels to improve service delivery through training, networking and knowledge sharing.
What Have We Accomplished So Far
- Significant increase in the number of elected representatives that have received training, which in turn, has facilitated better local governance
- Policy support provided to the Government of India in the form of contributions to the working group on rural governance established for the 12th Five-Year Plan
- State-specific strategies for capacity development of elected representatives prepared for the seven UN focus states based on in-depth capacity assessments
- State governments supported in preparing action plans for training; fostering partnership with NGOs for increasing outreach of training programmes; preparing training resources; developing a cadre of trainers and developing a comprehensive database of basic statistics on training of elected representatives
- Policy and research support provided to the Ministry on a range of subjects such as studying the feasibility of establishing a National Institute for Panchayati Raj and developing a guidebook for outsourcing of training programmes
Funding Support by
|Donor Name||Amount Contributed|
|United Nations Development Programme||US$ 4,500,000|
Expenditure in Previous Fiscal Year
Stories of Change
A Space for Women’s Voices: Unique Gram Sabhas in Madhya Pradesh Empower Women
UNDP’s partnership with the Ministry of Panchayati Raj is developing capacities of elected women representatives from Umaria district, Madhya Pradesh in local governance; generating awareness of both men and women on gender issues, helping communities secure access to entitlements and improving information on agricultural practices and sanitation facilities in the district.
UNDP Enhancing Women’s Role and Participation in Governance
To empower elected women representatives, several initiatives supported by UNDP in partnership with the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, such as trainings, workshops, exposure visits are helping women bring socio-political change in the communities.
State Level Resources
Consultation on Developing Human Resources for Strengthening Panchayati Raj Institutions
19 November 2013, New Delhi - A consultation to share best practices on personnel recruitment at local government level aimed at strengthening the capacity of panchayati raj institutions and training institutions was organized on 19 November 2013.
In the News
- Can politicians be made in classrooms?
[Date: 15 October 2012, Source: NDTV]
- ग्राम पंचायंत भी हुई ऑनलाइन
[Date: 06 June 2012, Source: Rajasthan Patrika]
- UNDP Praises Panchayati Raj
[Date: 06 June 2012, Source: The Hindu]
- UNDP Interested in Learning About Kerala e-Governance
[Date: 18 February 2012, Source: The Hindu]