Status of Projects
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has been working with the government, civil-society and the peoplele of India since 1951 to help them find their own solutions for global and national development challenges.
- Support development of state level livelihood strategies: The project will seek to improve the livelihood security and employability of poor and marginalized groups in both rural and urban areas and expand employment opportunities in disadvantaged regions
- Strengthen monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems of national poverty reduction schemes
- Demonstrate vulnerability reduction models for disadvantaged groups: The project will provide technical support to develop/adapt a framework for analyzing the risks and vulnerability of the disadvantaged groups
- Foster public-private-community partnerships for diversifying livelihoods and skill development
- Support policy advocacy and knowledge management at both national and state levels
Progress so far:
- Society Anchoring NRLM has been done
- A State level consultation workshop on NRLM organized.
- Core Committee of NRLM formed & operationalised
- Training and Exposure organized to SERP, BRLPS & NIRD
- MIS Development initiated
- Consultant shortlisted to prepare a perspective plan
- BPL survey methodology piloting completed
- Rolled out implementation of Model village under Adarsh Gram Yojna in 100 villages
- Village level micro plans have been completed in project area.
Capacity Development for District Planning and Livelihood Promotion (CDDP)
- To strengthen state training institutions and the District Planning Committee to build capacities at the district and sub-district level on inclusive and integrated planning.
- The nodal agency will also coordinate activities at the state level and enable policy dialogue with related departments.
- UNDP support at the district level is aimed at strengthening the technical capacities of the DPC in cross-cutting areas relevant to MDGs such as Disaster Risk Management, Climate Change, HIV/AIDS, PPCP, inclusion and skills development.
- The thrust will be on strengthening government policies, processes and capacity to undertake integrated district planning.
Progress so far:
- District level training of Govt. Officials, Block Level Orientation of PRI representatives & Panchayat level consultation on participatory planning
- Result Based Management Training for Govt officials
- Roll-out of Community based monitoring tool
- Orientation of DPC members on Roles & Responsibilities
- Exposure visit of Gram Panchayat Mukhiyas to East Singhbhum conducted
- DHDR –Second Draft completed in Pakur, First Draft Received in WS.
- State level consultation for senior officials on Decentralised Planning done
- Two rounds of Training for officials on ‘Use of Data for Planning’ conducted
- Technical support to state planning dept for 12th Five Yr Plan Formulation Workshop completed
- State and District level dissemination of PAHELI has been done
Capacity Development for Local Governance (CDLG) With Panchayatiraj Department
- Support Capacity Development at all levels- Enabling environment, Institutional and Individual.
- Capacity assessment and development of the ATI’s and SIRD’s
- Training Needs Assessment of functionaries and representatives and their Capacity Building for undertaking Planning.
- Support operationalisation of National Capacity Building Framework- NCBF
Progress so far:
- Developed a pool of Master Trainers
- Exposure visit of PRD Officials to learn the strategies and methods of conducting on and off campus training, developing training module, delivering training, monitoring and documentation of the whole process done
- Training Need Assessment (TNA) for Elected Women Representatives (EWR) is under process
- Developed reading material for PRI representatives on major schemes & programs run by different departments
- A workshop was organized on PESA to orient District Panchayati Raj Officers and District Planning Officers regarding the provision of PESA, To advocate for the better implementation of PESA, To identify the areas in the Jharkhand Panchayati Raj Act 2001 which are in conformity or not in conformity with PESA
- Developed training module and reading materials on Gram Sabha in PESA areas
- On the eve of Panchayat election, CDLG provided materials for conducting campaign
- 8 training modules have been developed by the CDLG Project for the first time in the State which is being used for the capacity development of PRIs
- 52 Agencies have been empanelled by the Department for implementing training plan on PPP Model which is now delivering trainings at field level
- The agencies are empanelled for 5 years co terminus with Panchayat Period
Crisis Prevention and Recovery
Disaster Risk Reduction and Urban Risk Reduction with State Disaster Management Department, Jharkhand
- Strengthened DM institutions as per DM Act 2005
- Training resource institutions strengthened for DM
- Capacity building of CSOs, NGOs and private sector for DM enhanced
- Risk and Vulnerability Assessments for strengthening capacities for DRR
- Risk Transfer mechanisms developed
- Improved peoples’ resilience and coping mechanisms, especially women and excluded groups
- DRR-mainstreamed in National Development Programmes
- Knowledge Management
- Risk Assessment and DRR in urban areas
- Capacity-building in Urban Risk Reduction
- Strengthened enforcement and compliance of building codes and building bye laws as well as zoning regulations
- Institutional strengthening for Urban Risk Management
- Urban Community based DRR
Progress so far:
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- SDMA constituted and first meeting has taken place and salient decisions have taken place. SEC is following the decisions.
- SEC is constituted and regularly meeting with need based agenda.
- SPSC is formed with membership of 9 line departments and meeting is taking place quarterly.
- Formation of State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) is approved by SDMA and SEC. Process in on for the creation of SDRF.
- Constitution of State Disaster Mitigation Fund is approved by the SDMA and being under consideration of SEC.
- DDMAs Constituted in all the 24 Districts.
- Draft State Disaster Management Plan prepared and approved by SDMA and SEC. SDMP has been submitted to NDMA and reviewed. Updation is in progress in collaboration with line departments.
- State does not have Disaster Management Policy although initiative is taken place to develop the same. File is created.
- Initiatives taken up at the State & District level :
- District Disaster Management plan has been prepared by 12 Districts
- Funds from the 13th Finance Commission leveraged for strengthening the EOCs
- Human Resource Support provided at the SDMA and DDMA level.
- State level HRVA process has been completed and State HRVA profile is incorporated in the State Disaster Management Plan. The same is being published at the official website of Disaster Management Department of Govt. of Jharkhand.
- One state level consultation has been organized to familiarize different stakeholders on objectives, scope and activities of DRR programme.
- Mainstreaming of Disaster Management Plan in to the Departmental Plan has been initiated. Urban Development Department and Water Resources Department has submitted their DM Plan.
- Capacity Building strategy for entire state is developed under the grant received from 13th Finance Commission.
- Training of Govt. functionaries on Proactive Disaster Management is initiated.
- Training Manual is developed and cadre of Master Trainer is developed.
- School Safety Manual is developed and cadre of Master Trainer is developed.
- Mass awareness through Mega Mock Drill and Mega Exhibition with NDRF and School based Mock Drill with Fire Department has created awareness among almost 50000 Common citizen and 15000 School Children in the state.
- ISM Dhanbad has been identified as Local Knowledge cum Demonstration center for Mining Disaster ,Birsa Agriculture University has been identified for Drought Disaster Bit Mesra has been identified for community based Urban Disaster Risk Reduction program and JSAC has been identified for Flood , Forest Fire and Drought Disaster based MIS.
- Seasonality based Mass awareness campaign through Print and Electronic Media.
- DDMA in 10 Districts have been reorganized and meeting took place.
- Urban Risk Reduction Project
- Human Resource Support provided at the District/city level.
- Existing City Disaster Management Plans being reviewed and updated. Dhanbad City Plan is being updated and Ranchi City Plan is in the final stages of updation.
- City/District Level control rooms being strengthened.
- Public Awareness Programmes held on various aspect of Disaster Management through Mega Mock Drill, Mega Exhibition, School Mock Drill, Essay writing, Drawing and Slogan competition among school children. School Disaster Management Plan is developed for 45 Schools Hospital Disaster Management Plan is under preparation.
Environment and Energy
- Strengthening the institutional Capacities at various levels and bring in behavioural changes to manage natural resources in an integrated, participatory and sustainable manner
- Institutional capacity of relevant national, state and local institutions for effective implementation of Biological Diversity Act
- Enhanced understanding at national, state and local institutions for conservation (in-situ and ex-situ) of bio-resources and ecosystems
- Knowledge sharing among national, state and local relevant institutions for effective implementation of Biological Diversity Act
Progress so far:
- Trainings of rural communities for biodiversity based livelihood generation has been done
- The website has been developed and the information related to the project is being uploaded periodically (http://jbbjharkhand.org)
- Survey and data collection for alien and invasive plant species in the two districts has been completed
- Documentation of the project is done
- Documentary on biodiversity of Jharkhand has been prepared by National Film Development Corporation (a Govt. of India Enterprises).
- Various publications has been made about biodiversity, BD Act, SBB, PBR, BHS, Role of Women in conservation of biodiversity etc
Area: 79,714 sq km
Population: 33 million
HDI value: 0.376