With a few years left to achieve the MDGs, this document provides a quick snapshot of India’s progress towards the MDGs and highlights key recommendations made during a roundtable discussion 'Achieving the MDGs by 2015: Policy Action for Human Freedoms.'
6 Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women
Where we are?
India missed the 2005 deadline of eliminating gender disparity in primary and secondary education. However, the country has hastened progress and the Gender Parity Index (GPI) for Gross Enrolment Ratios (GER) in primary and secondary education has risen. Given current trends, India is moderately or almost nearly on track. However, as the Government of India MDG Report 2009 notes, “participation of women in employment and decision-making remains far less than that of men, and the disparity is not likely to be eliminated by 2015.” Achieving GPI in tertiary education also remains a challenge. In addition, the labour market openness to women in industry and services has only marginally increased from 13-18 percent between 1990-91 and 2004-05.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate Extreme Hunger and Poverty
- 2 Achieve Universal Primary Education
- 3 Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women
- 4 Reduce Child Mortality
- 5 Improve Maternal Health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Other Diseases
- 7 Ensure Environmental Sustainability
- 8 Develop a Global Partnership for Development
Achieving the MDGs by 2015: Policy Action for Human Freedoms
Millennium Development Goals: India Country Report 2011
This report by the Government of India assesses the country’s progress towards achieving the MDGs. It focuses on performance against measured outcomes and assesses where the country is likely to be by 2015. In doing so, it attempts to provide a roadmap for future action.
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament